Treating emotional and behavioral problems is what FCS does best. But we recognize that we can do more to help children and adolescents become successful adults. Our 1-2-1 Mentoring program offers personalized mentoring to local youth who are struggling to succeed because of emotional and/or behavioral problems.
Do you see a pattern?
Children become successful adults when they have the necessary skills and relationships. We’re helping our kids learn these skills, and watching them succeed every day!
Contact our intake department at (630) 844-8220
Our Mentors are:
- volunteers from our community
- clinically trained staff at FCS at least 18 years old
The most important part of 1-2-1 Mentoring is the relationship between the children and the mentors. Our children need time – time spent with someone who is there just for them and who wants to help them succeed.
Mentoring activities take place all over our community – in the client’s home, at restaurants, in parks, the library, and more. We’re currently building a life skills training center at our facility that will be used to teach a variety of life skills – cooking, shopping, managing finances, applying and interviewing for jobs, and more! Mentors also with the client’s family members to help the family develop and implement a plan to help the client succeed.
Child and adolescent clients age 6-17 who are in need of additional support in these areas:
- independent living skills (e.g. cooking, laundry, and more)
- community living skills (volunteering, transportation, finding resources)
- social skills
- work/employment skills (job skills, how to apply for a job, interviewing, etc.)
- positive leisure activities (finding positive hobbies, etc.)
- money management skills
- symptom management skills
- personal relationship skills